Monday, May 26, 2008

Shoveling Downhill

I am constantly thinking about how much stuff we have.

I have two living room sets, four bedroom sets, two dining sets, extra pillows, sheets, and comforters for all the bedroom sets, towels and bath stuff to fill 6 bathrooms.

We have videos, DVDs, and CDs galore.

And good luck figuring out what is what and where it is, as half of it or more is packed up already from trying to consolidate our homes back together.

So I was intrigued when I heard about "The Story of Stuff" and the online resources for stuff.

I waited a long time after hearing about it before going ahead and viewing. To be honest I was scared. Was it about how much stuff we have? Was it about all the environmental and social damage we are causing by having so much stuff? Was it about helping me eliminate stuff in good ways? Would it give me resources to downsize? I didn't know.

I encourage you to go look at the video. 21 minutes of your life (buying into the cycle Annie is trying to deconstruct, with some nice clothing that seems to run counter to her point too - but I digress) that is actually worth checking out.

In the meantime I am going to see what I can do to recycle items, compost waste, limit consumption, and develop a better ethic for a global economy that is closer to fair for all.

1 Comments:

At May 27, 2008, Blogger revjimparsons said...

I have to admit, I too was drastically affect by The Story of Stuff. It is hard to walk into Wal-Mart now and not feel even more guilt!

Also, as you and your family move, I hope your transition goes well and may your ministry be enriched. You definitely have a task preaching in front of that window!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home