Friday, May 30, 2008

Garage Sale Stuff

As one who is holding a garage sale of sorts today with my sister "touring" my house and laying claim to anything we are exiting from the move this Friday Five seemed apropo.
Welcome to your irregularly scheduled RevGalBlogPals Fifth Friday Five, hosted by will smama and Songbird!
Since will smama is preparing for a joint garage sale with her parents, and Songbird's church had a Yard and Plant Sale last Saturday, we have five enormously important questions we hope you will answer:


1) Are you a garage saler?
Only as I drive by stuff, and see something worth checking out...but these days I am more inclined to see if I can do one myself.

2) If so, are you an immediate buyer or a risk taker who comes back later when prices are lower?
I'm an immediate buyer. If it's what I want at a price I want to pay, it's mine. If not, then I have no hesitation at walking away.

3) Seriously, if you're not a garage saler, you are probably not going to want to play this one.
(That wasn't really #3.)
3) This is the real #3: What's the best treasure you've found at a yard or garage sale?
I have had much better luck with Estate Sales and Thrift Stores. But I have a nice hutch and a very good entertainment cabinet from yardsales.

4)If you've done one yourself, at church or at home, was it worth the effort?
I did one when I was like 8 or 9, and had the intelligence (or enough help from mom) to hold it the same day the girls across the street held their annual "Let's hold a sale to buy our new back to school clothes" yardsale. I think I made $25-30. But let's be real and admit that I didn't have much worthwhile for sale at mine. Otherwise, at church, usually. I'm a big believer in Freecycle, Craig's List, and thrift store donations.

5) Can you bring yourself to haggle?
When it seems appropriate, or when I am not running away with a huge bargain.

3 Comments:

At May 30, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, David! Thanks for playing today.
I remember going to a friend's yard sale when I was 6 or 7 and buying Little Kiddles. Kids can be great salespeople!

 
At May 30, 2008, Blogger Katy V. said...

Next time I have a garage sale I know to employ a child to help me out, lol! Nice play!

 
At May 30, 2008, Blogger DogBlogger said...

Nice play! I'm closing in on the end of my work day and may play this p.m. at my personal blog.

Blessings on you in this transition... and thanks for linking to me on the grocery bag posting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home