Monday, June 01, 2009

Google Church

My new goal is to create a Google Church.

I am still working out the details, and I am not sure I can communicate what I have already, but I find putting it into expressed words that I can reflect upon helps.

Google does an outstanding job of taking what it does for its core, building and adding from there. The basic search engine function has led to myriad other applications - like Google Maps, Google Docs, Gmail and more.

My hope is that the church would do the same. The reason to add new functionality is that it is where the consumer, or those outside the church, can interface, and find their own functionality. The plus of it is that you don't have to use the whole package to get some usefulness from the Google series of applications.

I also love that outside developers have the ability to create applications to work with and within Google projects. What might that do for the local church if we were to allow outside groups and people to shape the way we use the functions of the church?

Within the larger structure of Google is a freedom to create, develop and add. Sometimes I get frustrated that the church gets so stuck in what it has done that it is unable to modify and change what it does from within, let alone adding other things from outside.

That's it for the basic outline. Still more pondering to do.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 09, 2009, Anonymous David Youngdale said...

This is a groovy idea, I mean it is cool; I can dig it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home