Saturday, January 24, 2009

Keeping up with the Jones'

I was speaking with a friend of mine the other day about how to develop Pride in the local church. It seems we do a pretty good job of this in most of our churches during pledge campaigns, but what are we doing to claim the change and the pride we have in the local church during the rest of the year.

I am mindful that during 2008 Ojai UMC had a great chance to affirm the pride we have in the church and the community as we celebrated our 50th year of Ministry in the Ojai Valley.

Sometimes the church asks, "What have you done for me lately?"

It is during those times that we need to look to the congregation to build on the work that we have been doing, to proclaim the changes that God is working in our lives, and to build up the community of believers.

The suggestion he made was one he had culled from the Santa Barbara First United Methodist Church, where I had previously served. This program was instituted after I left and so it is new to me in some ways, but I am aware that Del Rosa UMC did it for a period of time when I was there in one form or another. But he affirmed the notion that this process and sharing needs to be formalized.

The process hearkens back to the vows we take at membership to affirm the local church with our "prayers, presence, gifts and service." He challenged me to create a space for members of the local church to do this once a month. I will work on doing so...as I think this is a great idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home