Friday, July 15, 2005

Sermon Prep

Somehow it always comes down to Friday and Saturday and I am left trying to determine the full force of my sermons. I constantly look over the text, review articles, and form thoughts about what to preach and how to preach it.
I know there are other preachers out there who are struggling with the same thing. We've shared those conversations enough. The thing I constantly am searching for is the "right" resource. I'll be honest, it isn't the same place each week. That may have something to do with the idea for preaching that my Seminary Professor taught us "Preach what is saving you each week". I would love to be able to subsist on my favorite preaching quote, "Preach the Word daily, use words if necessary." That one is attributed to St. Francis. This might have worked for St. Francis as he went into the neighborhoods and cared for the gardens, the animals and the people, all the time wearing his monk's robe. The folks on Sunday morning might revolt, no, they would revolt, if my version of the sermon was to walk out the door, start planting a garden in the field space we have the church, finding food for the gophers that dig up the yard and just going to "sit" with those who are sick at the hospital or mourning at the funeral parlors in town.
So, back to the resources.
Favorites are: Textweek, Desperate Preacher, eSermons, Sermon Central, General Board of Discipleship| Worship, and many of those old forwards I got in my unix email box so many years ago. Don't delete that forward so quickly next time, set it aside and see when it might fit the next sermon you need to write...or public speech.
Peace,

1 Comments:

At July 16, 2005, Blogger gavin richardson said...

textweek is my fav and gbod worship resources is right behind close second.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home