Friday, November 04, 2011

Thanks-Giving

Of late I have begun to notice the correlation between Thankfulness and Giving more closely.

As such, I offer a few things that have helped me to notice this...

I am thankful for the Food Pantry and Disability Supply closet we have at the church. In sharing the story of thankfulness for this, one of our Boy Scouts in Troop 87 took this as his Eagle Project to expand it. In sharing that story of thankfulness, the supplies of food and disability supplies have grown, even as the use of those supplies has grown.

I am thankful for my family, my wife and child, as well as my extended family, Mom/Dad, Grandma, and my Sisters and their families. In telling them how thankful I am for them, the time we have dedicated to one another has grown, and those experiences, even when strained have led me to be more thankful, and giving of my time.

I am thankful for the service professionals who have helped serve me - in Food Service, Maid Service, Car Service, Banks, and even the greeters at the hospital who direct me to the right place. In giving thanks for their time, attention to my concerns, and simply sharing that with them, I have found them more willing to take an extra step to make things easier for me and my family, as well as my own willingness to give them more flexibility in dealing with things I did not want to address, as well as paying them more than I had previously.

I m grateful for the ministries of St. Andrew UMC, and so I have found myself giving more of myself and my attentions to helping grow those ministries and supporting them, with my words, my money, and my time, as well as my expertise and the expertise of those who are most helpful to the varying needs present therein.

All of this is in response to God's faithful giving to me, and my awareness and thankfulness for that which I notice, which translates to loving God and loving neighbor more. In turn, I find I am more giving, of time, energy, knowledge and ultimately love.

I guess there must be something to that song my dear daughter was singing this week...
Magic Penny
Notes: words and music by Malvina Reynolds; copyright 1955 and 1958 Northern Music Corporation, renewed 1986. a.k.a. "Love Is Something." Despite the later copyright dates, this song was actually written while Malvina's daughter was at a junior high school dance, so around 1949.


Love is something if you give it away,
Give it away, give it away.
Love is something if you give it away,
You end up having more.

It's just like a magic penny,
Hold it tight and you won't have any.
Lend it, spend it, and you'll have so many
They'll roll all over the floor.

For love is something if you give it away,
Give it away, give it away.
Love is something if you give it away,
You end up having more.

Money's dandy and we like to use it,1
But love is better if you don't refuse it.
It's a treasure and you'll never lose it
Unless you lock up your door.

For love is something if you give it away,
Give it away, give it away.
Love is something if you give it away,
You end up having more.

So let's go dancing till the break of day,
And if there's a piper, we can pay.
For love is something if you give it away,
You end up having more.

For love is something if you give it away,
Give it away, give it away.
Love is something if you give it away,
You end up having more.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At November 08, 2011, Blogger johnsue said...

I love this post! xoxo mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home