Sunday, August 23, 2009

I hate thinking this hard

Madpriest posts a few thoughts on Worship.

He made me think. I am still sorting out what I want to say about it. But, I would welcome your thoughts too.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2009

MADPRIEST'S THOUGHT FOR THE DAY


God is not affected by our worship. For our sake he encourages us to worship him.

Nothing in our liturgy is God-given. Nothing in the performance of our liturgy is God-given.

When we devise worship it should be with the full understanding that it is all for our benefit.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 23, 2009, Blogger John Meunier said...

Quite a witty and engaging site. I so envy the English at times.

I suppose if you think the Bible is a completely human creation and that the Holy Spirit has not worked in the history of the church as it developed its liturgies, then you can say this.

If worship is a channel of grace, then God is present and active.

 
At August 25, 2009, Blogger starlight said...

How is God not affected by our worship? How does Madpriest know this?

Yes, worship is for us, as the Body of Christ. We ought not to try to "manipulate" God through our worship. While I don't believe God would go along with any of our misguided attempts to force him to do something, I think he'd still be affected...perhaps saddened by such efforts.

I agree with John Meunier's comment about God being present and active. Perhaps not all will allow themselves to be connected to God during worship, but God is available.

 
At September 17, 2009, Blogger Dr J Rx said...

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

I think the father seeking is an interesting concept. The eternal, omnipotent seeking something? My simple mind, and simple reading of this says that you don't seek something unless it makes you happier with it, than you'd be without it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home