Monday, April 27, 2009

Confirmation

I had the privilege of doing one of the best confirmations yesterday.

I am developing a theme for ministry in the days ahead...that of commissioning. All members of the United Methodist Church ought to consider being commissioned to ministry, in whatever form best fits their local ministry. 

Yesterday, I had a young man of 13 in my congregation as I preached from 2 Timothy 1:3-14 (more on that later this week). During the course of the sermon I had the chance to lay hands on him and confirm his call to ministry, allowing him the opportunity to share a little of his call with the congregation.

That, my friends, is what a Confirmation ought to be. It is the beginning of ministry for an individual. We will work on the Confirmation of all of our members in the weeks ahead. 

I am excited for his future in ministry, and hope to pave a way that sets the tone for the church he will have a chance to lead. 

Labels:

1 Comments:

At April 27, 2009, Anonymous David Youngdale said...

1 Timothy 4:12-16; "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance in reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy,with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things, give thyself wholly to them,that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine;continue in them; for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee." KJV

 

Post a Comment

<< Home