Monday, July 23, 2007

Random Musing

Normally I am a detractor of the National Soccer team of Mexico and relish any time they flop. I am even better at this when it comes to Cuauhtemoc Blanco.

So I find myself in a weird space this morning as I celebrate Blanco scoring in his first game for the Chicago Fire. I need to cheer this. I want to cheer this. Chicago brought Blanco in to help a struggling franchise, and he did immediately. MLS is often looked at as a lesser step-child of world first division soccer leagues, including the Mexican League. One need look no further back than the 3-0 loss the LA Galaxy suffered to Tigres UANL just last week for proof, which the media throughout the world seized upon to remind David Beckham that he was going nowhere fast with the Galaxy.

But, MLS needs high-profile players, with competitive fire and results to prove its continued worth. If MLS brings players in and they do not perform, then of course the player was already washed up and it is no wonder they couldn't play anywhere else in the world, except for MLS. If they outperform the competition then it proves that those "other leagues" are just so far above MLS it isn't even funny. But, for those who have played sports a competitive levels, playing with the best and against the best serves only to raise your game and make you want to work that much harder. I am excited to see MLS grow in this way, challenging the days ahead where we can contend for contracts for the great players while they are just getting going and through their prime.

So, to Blanco and the success of the Chicago Fire, I say congratulations and all the best -Except when you play the LA Galaxy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home