Monday, April 10, 2006

I've got it!

Well, at least for the moment I think I have more of it than I had before.

With all the musings on the Gospel of Judas this week I got to thinking about the agenda that was trying to be pushed through with that as Jesus the fully human creature with no divine, until the resurrection, when he was fully divine, with no humanaity left to him. The goal of the passage was to further an idea of Jesus, which has come to be known as the Manichean Heresy.

I also heard a story about how when Jesus walked on water to get to the disciples on the Sea of Galilee, he wasn't actually walking on water, but instead walked on ice because the Sea of Galilee was frozen over. The author was trying to prove his own point and base something in science. The kicker is that none of this is about science.

What I finally understood this week is that the scriptures and the Bible in particular is not a document we need to prove, but instead a document that is trying to prove us. By that I mean that we are the people of the Bible and we can identify with many of the characters. Maybe we ought to be listening for what the scriptures are telling us about how to live with God and interact with God and what happens when we do so, rather than trying to prove the texts as "true". This isn't a matter of metaphor versus literal, but a matter of "man, there is something I can learn about me".

Peace,

2 Comments:

At April 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more

 
At April 13, 2006, Blogger gavin richardson said...

dc i with ya'

i'm tired of science types trying to prove everything, when they can't even prove their own theories. part of the reason i resonate with the whole radical orthodoxy camp.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home