Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Facebook Rant

I have to say that I fully understand trying to keep up with the changing shape of the internet, and thus the changing format for Facebook. They are trying to stay current. I love that. It helps me to remember to constantly be shifting and not get too stuck in my own ways.

But, I have to say that even with a small number of friends on Facebook I was particular about who I wanted to keep up with in conversation. So, naturally, as I accumulated more friends, and made more connections I was thrilled to have some nice reminders, like the Birthday notices.

I did well for a season at dropping a note to friends, and acquaintances alike. And I go through spurts of doing that better than other times.

Then Facebook started adding other reminders: to write on _____ wall; or tag them on a picture; or some other piece of keeping up. I appreciate the reminder of who I friended over time, but I am not sure that I want to have a reminder of that type before me. Maybe moving my friends box into my Status Updates page, or even before the suggestions segment would ease that pain for me.

I guess, at this season of lapsed Christmas cards, it only seems more painful, as a reminder of how I have not been able to keep up with people over time. I guess it just serves notice to Dunbar's number once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home