Monday, February 23, 2009

Deserving

Seth Godin wrote a post the other day about whether or not we deserve the luck we have had.

The gist was that we don't, and the better question is what we are doing with the luck we have had.

When it comes to Ojai UMC, I want to highlight some of the pieces of luck I think we have had, and ask the question about what we are doing with it.

We were granted a large piece of property to build our church.

We survived a fire in 1971 and rebuilt.

We have a wonderful preschool.

We have some outstanding music talent.

We have (arguably) the best view in town.

We have some very generous and helpful people.

We have a healing congregation (as seen in the pastors and their improved condition upon leaving OUMC, and in the congregation members joyfulness).

We have an emerging Vision.

We have a good reputation in our community.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At February 24, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone once defined God's grace as His willingness to use His power and His ability on our behalf, even though we don't deserve it. I understand the word "luck"; I use it myself as it is an easy word to use and people understand it. The many blessings that have come our way at OVUMC for so many years are Divine providence, not mere "chance" or luck. Do I understand it? No. Do I (we) deserve it? No. Do I thank God for it? Yes. Dave Youngdale.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home