Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Midstream

One of the regular situations in my life comes around October or November, of just about every year I can remember.

I get bored. I get tired. I get frustrated, and consider giving it all up and going on to something else - anything else. One year it even got so bad, I was diagnosed as clinically depressed and was placed on medication. Since that time I have tried to have a therapist, if for nothing else, just to have someone on call.

I don't know for certain all the reasons October brings about a malaise for me. I know that I am shorter with people. I have less people energy. I get bored faster. I don't have the energy to take up "new" projects, though I can complete old projects, albeit with less verve than before. I start exploring "new" ventures and challenging whether I am in the right place.

I have figured several things about this. A) It just is, and I have to persevere through it. B) I am not alone. Judging by the number of Facebook statements, blog entries and conversations I have witnessed over the past several years many folks face this. C) I am pretty certain that it is not Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) D)I love sports and have for years found this time to take up a sport I love, as a way to help me pull through - and I have no evidence that it truly helps overcome the feeling, but it does give me some tools to ride it out. E) When I am most down I have learned that is when I most need to reach out. F) I thank God for my baby girl every day, it is hard not to keep going when she smiles and shows such love for life.

And that's the news for today...I will be okay...but just so you know what's going on. 


PS. A nice correllary article by Anne Jackson over at Flowerdust here. And FWIW - check out her book Mad Church Disease

2 Comments:

At November 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I know this feeling at various times of the year. All the best, friend!

 
At November 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you have some good support at home. Smiling baby girls are hard not to be happy about. If you ever need anything, let us know. I have been there too...
-Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home