Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Taming the Tongue

Proverbs 25:18

18 Like a club or a sword or a sharp arrow is the man who gives false testimony against his neighbor.

James 3

1Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.
3When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

Matthew 18:6

But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.


Let me say it now-I goofed. I said something in haste that just came out wrong. I implied that one of my youth was a fugitive and a a juvenile delinquent. Those were not exactly my words, but the meaning was close enough for the implication. I was wrong.

He is a better man than I because he came to me out of respect and care and called me on the conversation. I needed that reminder, and I ever grateful to such a strong young man who would be willing to come to me and pull me aside to ask and to continue to talk to me. I pray that he and I can heal from this experience. I know that I am wounded, for I have done wrong.

For this reason I have often feared the texts about being a teacher. But I also know that as a teacher I need to teach from my weakness as well. For none are perfect, save the Son of God, Jesus the Christ.

Lord, forgive me for my wrongdoing.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home