Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sometimes you need to know

Sometimes you just need to know what I'm reading and how I respond. There have been several posts in the blogosphere of late that have garnered my attention.

I will reserve space to talk more about Jay's post regarding Boards of Ordained Ministry and the general conference resolutions he is proposing. I have definitely felt the sting of BOOM and watched some pretty vicious power grabs in recent years, how to play that out on the General Conference level makes for some very weighty politics.

I have had my attention drawn to issues of theology and practice about women in ministry. My wife and sister are both women in ministry, and I grew up with both of my parents fill-in preaching on occasion and definitely serving as teachers. I find much value in the ministry of women and have only benefitted from such ministry.

I have been dealing with some internal issues in the conference surrounding student debt and the cost of service as a pastor, on the front and back end of ministry, not to mention the deflated cost of living paid to clergy persons. So, it is with heightened interest I read articles about such issues. I am disheartened by the lack of foresight by the UMC in understanding the cost of entering ministry and the costs of higher education, such that the increased "Scholarships" will do little to actually diminish student debt. Throw in the additional comments about how they will be distributed to minorities and women and it does little to recognize someone like me who is a white male. As more and more scholarships get specialized for other than "white male" white men are going to find it harder and harder to enter college, let alone pay for it on the backside.

Additional thoughts have been stirred in the ongoing conversation about missional priority, serving from our strengths, and the fears that deter us, the emergent church and the future of ministry for young persons in ministry. I am trying to develop a congregation that is aware of their gifts, focused on the mission of the Gospel, forgetting their fears, open to the changes that the emerging church movement can bring, and faithful to those who have served in ministry and those who are yet to come, bridging the gap between what was and what is yet to come.

All this while trying to figure out how to say something important about Luke 15 and the Prodigal Son.

Peace,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home