A Walking Paradox
Dealing with the contradictions and challenges of faith, disbelief, and living and dying
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Sunday, July 20, 2008
We have been on the move of late. We moved in knowing there is the usual stuff that needs to be checked with the arrival of a new pastor in an old parsonage.
We were welcomed with several folks willing to help with unpacking and settling. We were given a "telephone baby shower" for our new one expected in the next week or so. We were roundly cared for on our birthdays at the start of the month. We have been fed with an in-home meal, and an invitation to another home.
We also encountered some difficulties:
We encountered this:
Which meant we had to do this:
So we stayed here:
A special thanks to Amy Segovia of the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa for her help in making sure a new pastor, his pregnant wife and mother-in-law all had wonderful accommodations after being uprooted from a parsonage for a week of termite tenting.
But now we have to deal with this:And this:
Which means we are in for some bathroom remodeling.
Thanks to all the great folks from Ojai UMC in their fantastic hospitality and care for us in this time of upheaval.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Sorry for the delay. I have been waiting on internet, phone and cable tv. They arrived yesterday.
I have been wanting to post some pictures of some of the fun places I have been, and the sights I have seen. But, for the sake of my time I will simply post some links to things I have seen.
Some Great Meals:
The Ranch House
The Deer Lodge
Some Great Festivities:
4th of July Parade
More updates in the scenery of the parsonage and church to come.
Saturday, July 05, 2008
Today in History
Today is July 5th — on this day in:
• 1810 - P.T. Barnum, American circus owner born (d. 1891);
• 1865 - The Salvation Army is founded in the East End of London, England;
• 1937 - Spam, the luncheon meat, was introduced into the market by the Hormel Foods Corporation;
• 1946 - The bikini is introduced in Paris, France;
• 1954 - Elvis Presley has his first commercial recording session. He sang That’s All Right (Mama) and Blue Moon of Kentucky, widely considered to be the birth of Rock and Roll;
• 1996 - Dolly the sheep becomes the first mammal cloned from an adult cell; and
• 2003 - SARS is declared to be contained by the WHO.
ht Brother Maynard
40 years ago...
- Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis
- Nixon was elected by a margin of 500,000
- The Civil Rights Act was passed
- Actress Jane Mansfield died
- "Chain of Fools" by Aretha Franklin was on the radio
- "Planet of the Apes" was at the movies
- O.J. Simpson won the Heisman Trophy
- "Bonanza" was big on TV
Wednesday, July 02, 2008
No, Not me
And the world is much better for it.
Welcome back brother!